U-19 Japan Women’s National Team defend Asian title and become crowned champions for fifth time in AFC U-19 Women’s Championship
30 October 2017
AFC U-19 Women’s Championship China 2017
Final vs U-19 DPR Korea Women's National Team
28 October 2017 (Sat.) Kick-off 19:00(Local Time) Playing Time 90min.(45min.×2)
Jiangning Sports Centre Stadium (Nanjing, China)
U-19 Japan Women's National Team 1-0（0-0, 1-0）U-19 DPR Korea Women's National Team
50' UEKI Riko（U-19 Japan Women's National Team）
DF：USHIJIMA Riko, MINAMI Moeka, TAKAHASHI Hana, KITAMURA Nanami
MF：MIYAGAWA Asato, NAGANO Fuka, HAYASHI Honoka, MIYAZAWA Hinata
FW：UEKI Riko, TAKARADA Saori
GK：FUKUTA Mai, STAMBAUGH Hannah
DF：NAGASHIMA Reina, ONO Nana, TAKAHIRA Miyu
MF：FUKUTA Yui, SATO Mizuka, KANNO Oto
FW：Kono Fuka, MURAOKA Mami, MEHARA Rina, ENDO Jun
89' TAKARADA Saori → MURAOKA Mami
U-19 Japan Women’s National Team faced DPR Korea in the final of the AFC U-19 Women’s Championship China 2017 on Saturday 28 October at Jiangning Sports Centre Stadium.
It was the same final fixture as the previous tournament in 2015, and the game stayed in the balance and neither side were able to take the early initiative. In this highly-contested match, U-19 Japan were able to fashion only few promising chances in the first half. In the 25th minute, midfielder HAYASHI Honoka regained possession of the ball in midfield and surged up the pitch to attempt a shot at goal, but failed to hit the target. On 42 minutes, after an exchange of pass with midfielder NAGANO Fuka, midfielder MIYAGAWA Asato found forward UEKI Riko, who collected the ball and dribbled up to the front of the DPR Korea’s goal, but her effort was parried away from danger by the opposing goalkeeper. The match was scoreless at halftime.
Before sending his players back to the pitch, Japanese coach IKEDA Futoshi encouraged them, ‘Let’s enter the second half with confidence.’ Then, the young Japanese internationals responded just five minutes into the second half. Forward Ueki reclaimed the loose ball from a corner in the 50th minute and fired in a stunning goal to give her side an important opening goal of the match.
Japan menacing attacks continued in the 64th minute, when Hayashi was played through by Nagano, but her shot struck the crossbar. Towards the end of the game, DPR Korea fiercely threatened the Japanese goal from repeatedly earning a corner, but the young Nadeshiko defence led by goalkeeper SUZUKI Aguri was resilient and did not allow the opponents to level the match. U-19 Japan edged their Asian rivals 1-0 and became the crowned champions of Asia for the fifth time.
With the tournament serving also as the qualifiers, where the top three teams would qualify for the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup France 2018. Japan have already clinched a place in the world competition by winning the semi-final on 25 October. Adding another to their achievement list, the Japanese team were given the Fair Play Award for the tournament.
IKEDA Futoshi, Coach (U-19 Japan Women’s National Team)
I am proud of my players who fought hard and edged a tough final to win the championship. We defended tenaciously as a united team when the opponents threatened us, and displayed our strength, the ability to work hard during tough stretches, both in offence and defence in today’s match. We will be now looking to further strengthen the team for the World Cup next August as well.
|AFC U-19 Women's Championship China2017|
|Sun. 15 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Mon. 16 October||8-0||vs Vietnam（Jiangning Sports Centre）|
|Tue. 17 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Wed. 18 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Thu. 19 October||5-1||vs Australia （Jiangning Sports Centre）|
|Fri. 20 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Sat. 21 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Sun. 22 October||2-0||vs Korea Republic （Jiangning Sports Centre）|
|Mon. 23 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Tue. 24 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Wed. 25 October||5-0||Semi-Final vs China （Jiangning Sports Centre）|
|Thu. 26 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Fri. 27 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Sat. 28 October||1-0||Final vs DPR Korea （Jiangning Sports Centre）|
*The schedule is subject to change due to the team condition, the weather, etc.
- National Teams 2017/10/26 U-19 Japan Women’s National Team beat China 5-0 to clinch spot in AFC U-19 Women’s Championship final
- National Teams 2017/10/23 U-19 Japan Women's National Team get through to semi-finals with three wins from three in group stage at AFC U-19 Women's Championship
- National Teams 2017/10/20 U-19 Japan Women’s National Team crush Australia 5-1 in AFC U-19 Women's Championship
- National Teams 2017/10/17 U-19 Japan Women’s National Team beat Vietnam 8-0 in AFC U-19 Women’s Championship
- National Teams 2017/10/15 U-19 Japan Women's National Team hold official training session at match site in AFC U-19 Women's Championship 2017 in China
- Japan Football Association 2017/11/17 JFA signs on partnership with Uzbekistan
- National Teams 2017/11/15 SAMURAI BLUE finish Europe trip with loss to Belgium
- National Teams 2017/11/14 Halilhodzic on Belgium match: ‘It’s a big test.’
- National Teams 2017/11/13 Nadeshiko Japan (Japan Women's National Team) squad, schedule - Jordan tour - (20-25 Nov.)
- National Teams 2017/11/11 SAMURAI BLUE score for first time against Brazil in 11 years, but fall 3-1 to Canarinhos