U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team advances to the Final with 3-2 win over Spain at the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018
16 October 2018
The 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Semi-Final
vs U-18 Spain Women's Futsal National Team
Mon. 15 October 2018 Kick-off 16:00 (Local time)
Main Futsal Hall (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team 3-2 (0-1, 3-1) U-18 Spain Women's Futsal National Team
18' goal against (U-18 Spain Women's Futsal National Team)
22' MAEDA Miu (U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team)
25' ARAI Ichika (U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team)
33' OINO Sara (U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team)
40' goal against (U-18 Spain Women's Futsal National Team)
GK: SUTO Yuria
FP: YOKOYAMA Rinka, IKEUCHI Aki, MAEDA Miu, YAMAKAWA Rikako
GK: KOBAYASHI Mitsuki
FP: MIYAMOTO Mai, OINO Sara, ARAI Ichika, ABE Mirano
On Monday 15 October, the U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team faced the U-18 Spain Women's Futsal National Team at the semi-finals of the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018 and won the match 3-2 to advance to the final.
In a match where a win would guarantee the team a medal at the Youth Olympics, Japan came out applying aggressive pressure from their front line. Despite allowing Spain to take control of the ball possession, the Japanese side denied their opponents from creating a clear opportunity. In the eighth minute, from their persistent defence, Japan came close to scoring the opening goal when MAEDA Miu delivered a ball cutting across the opposing goal, but YAMAKAWA Rikako failed to connect with the delivery. Japan would continue to threaten the Spanish goal, but conversely gave up the first goal of the match in the 18th minute when they were caught off guards from a kick-in.
Japan entered the second half with a fresh mindset as they attacked tenaciously from the early minutes. In the 22nd minute, Maeda received the ball from IKEUCHI Aki and captured the goal to level the match. ARAI Ichika followed in the 25th minute, when she forced a turnover deep in the opposing end and capitalised on the opportunity to give her side a 2-1 lead. In the 33rd minute, OINO Sara, who later reflected, “It was very nerve-racking to play with over 6,500 spectators,” captured the team’s third goal to give them a commanding lead.
In efforts to score goals, Spain employed their power-play for the remainder of the match, as Japan’s patience were being tested. Japan will concede a goal in the final seconds of the match but managed to win the match with a final score of 3-2. With the win, Japan has now secured their spot into the final as well as a medal that would come in a colour of either silver or gold.
The team will now face the U-18 Portugal Women's Futsal National Team at the final, an opponent who they have lost to in the group stage. The match will take place on Wednesday 17 October with a kick-off time of 18:00 local time.
FP #5 OINO Sara (Laufen)
We got rattled a bit when we conceded the opening goal in the first half, but we managed to stay vocal and keep our composure to come from behind by scoring three goals. I think we were able to showcase are persistency. Our opponents came out playing their power-play at the end and scored a goal, but we managed to sustain our lead and won the match 3-2. I am happy that was able to contribute to our victory by scoring the team’s third goal. At the final, we will be facing the Portugal team who we have lost in the group stage, so we will enter the match with a strong intention and great courage to win the match.
FP #6 ARAI Ichika (Fukui Maruoka RUCK)
First of all, I am so glad we managed to win the match. Although we conceded the opening goal and we were forced to play defence for a long stretch, the fact that we managed to keep our focus has led to this result. We hope to showcase great defence and score goals at the final as well. Our next match is the final match of the tournament. I will play to leave no regrets and try to enjoy the match as much as possible. We will give our very best to take home the gold medal to Japan.
|The 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament|
|Mon. 8 October||6-2||1st Group Stage Match vs Cameroon ＠Main Futsal Hall|
|Tue. 9 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Wed. 10 October||4-1||2nd. Group Stage Match vs Chile ＠CeNARD Hall|
|Thu. 11 October||6-2||3rd Group Stage Match vs Dominican Republic
＠Main Futsal Hall
|Fri. 12 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Sat. 13 October||0-2||4th Group Stage Match vs Portugal ＠CeNARD Hall|
|Sun. 14 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Mon. 15 October||3-2||Semi-final vs Spain ＠Main Futsal Hall|
|Tue. 16 October||AM/PM||Training|
|Wed. 17 October||18:00||Final vs Portugal ＠Main Futsal Hall|
*The schedule is subject to change due to the team condition, the weather, etc.
- National Teams 2018/10/15 U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team advances to Semi-finals as group’s runners-up after losing to Portugal 0-2 at the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018
- National Teams 2018/10/12 U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team secures spot into Semi-finals with win over Dominican Republic at the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018
- National Teams 2018/10/11 U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team defeats Chile to record back-to-back victories at the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018
- National Teams 2018/10/10 U-18 Japan Women's Futsal National Team earns a victory in their first ever International match at the 3rd Youth Olympic Futsal Tournament Buenos Aires 2018
- National Teams 2019/06/20 Nadeshiko Japan advances to Round of 16 despite 0-2 loss to England at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/20 SAMURAI BLUE to face Uruguay in second match of the CONMEBOL Copa America Brazil 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/19 U-20 Japan Futsal National Team reaches first ever Semi-Finals after defeating Iraq at the AFC U-20 Futsal Championship Iran 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/19 Nadeshiko Japan must “Stay on the same page and strive to win” against England at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/18 SAMURAI BLUE loses to Chile 0-4 at the CONMEBOL Copa America Brazil 2019