U-20 Japan National Team conducts training session to prepare for first match of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
22 May 2019
On Tuesday 21 May, with just two more days until their first match of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019, the U-20 Japan National Team took their time to walk around their hotel in the morning to visit the sceneries of Bydgoszcz.
Following their walk, the team held their meeting before lunch, and visited the match venue, Bydgoszcz Stadium in the afternoon. The players observed the atmosphere of the stadium, checked out the pitch condition, and walked through the locker room before heading over to their training field located just outside of Bydgoszcz to conduct a training session.
For the first time in this training camp, the training session was opened to the public and the media for the first 15 minutes. During that time, the players were seen thoroughly going over their warmup routines to stretch their bodies, followed by a conditioning drill where the players ran for three minutes to test their fitness level. The team then went through variations of passing drills before the session went behind closed doors. In the session that lasted for nearly an hour, the team worked to get the players on the same page before their first match of the tournament.
The FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland will kick-off on Thursday 23 May, and Japan will play their first match against Ecuador on that day (Friday 24, 3:30 a.m. Japan time).
GK #1 WAKAHARA Tomoya (Kyoto Sanga F.C.)
I was given the opportunity to play in some of the matches during the final round of the Asian qualifiers held last year, but more than the joy I felt from winning the qualifiers, I vividly remember the bitterness I felt when my mistake costed the team a goal. If I am given the chance to play during this tournament, I will give my best and play in behalf of those members who we fought together, such as TANI Kosei (Gamba Osaka) and OSAKO Keisuke (Sanfrecce Hiroshima). For me this is my first World Cup. Until now, I have never been nervous, but I am gradually getting a sense of nervousness in a good way. Despite the nervousness I am feeling right now, I am still able to focus on our trainings, so I’ve been able to condition myself in a very good form. I hope to showcase a good performance so that I can spread the name of my club team to the world.
DF #4 SEKO Ayumu (Cerezo Osaka)
The World Cup is just about to begin, and I am looking forward to playing against the world’s best players. We have been able to prepare ourselves well until this point. As a centre half, my ability to hold off the highly talented South American players should play a key role in our way to victory. This is my only shot at the U-20 World Cup, so I will give my utmost efforts and leave no regrets. Especially for me, I remember the bitterness I felt after missing out on the U-17 World Cup in 2017 after sustaining an injury, so I will use that memory as my motivation to work even harder.
|Sun. 12 May||16:00||Training *Open to the public|
|Mon. 13 May||5-0||Training Match vs Ryutsu Keizai University
*Open to the public
|Wed. 15 May||AM/PM||Training|
|Thu. 16 May||AM/PM||Training|
|Fri. 17 May||1-2||Friendly Match vs U-20 Colombia National Team|
|Sun. 19 May||AM||Training|
|Mon. 20 May||PM||Training|
|Tue. 21 May||PM||Training|
|Wed. 22 May||PM||Official Press-conference/Training|
|FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019|
|Thu. 23 May||20:30||1st Group Stage Match vs U-20 Ecuador National Team
(Bydgoszcz Stadium, Bydgoszcz)
|Fri. 24 May||AM||Training|
|Sat. 25 May||PM||Training|
|Sun. 26 May||15:30||2nd Group Stage Match vs U-20 Mexico National Team
(Gdynia Stadium, Gdynia)
|Mon. 27 May||PM||Training|
|Tue. 28 May||PM||Training|
|Wed. 29 May||18:00||3rd Group Stage Match vs U-20 Italy National Team
(Bydgoszcz Stadium, Bydgoszcz)
|Sun. 2 - Tue. 4 June||TBC||Round of 16|
|Fri. 7 or Sat. 8 June||TBC||Quarterfinals|
|Tue. 11 June||17:30/20:30||Semi-Finals|
|Fri. 14 June||20:30||3rd Place Match|
|Sat. 15 June||18:00||Final|
*The schedule is subject to change due to the team condition, the weather, etc.
FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
Tournament Dates: Thu. 23 May - Sat. 15 June 2019
Fri. 24 May 2019 03:30 (Japan time)
vs U-20 Ecuador National Team
Sun. 26 May 2019 22:30 (Japan time)
vs U-20 Mexico National Team
Thu. 30 May 2019 01:00 (Japan time)
vs U-20 Italy National Team
- National Teams 2019/05/21 U-20 Japan National Team arrives in Bydgoszcz ahead of their first match of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/18 U-20 Japan National Team plays match against Colombia to prepare for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/16 U-20 Japan National Team arrives at Poland for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/15 U-20 Japan National Team departs to Poland ahead of the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019
- Referees 2019/09/23 Referees in charge holds training session at the match venue - International Friendly Match vs Thailand Futsal National Team
- National Teams 2019/09/23 Japan Futsal National Team holds official training at Nagaoka ahead of International Friendly Match vs Thailand Futsal National Team
- National Teams 2019/09/22 Thailand Futsal National Team arrives in Japan ahead of International Friendly Match at Niigata and Aichi
- National Teams 2019/09/21 Nadeshiko Japan announces squad for International Friendly Match vs Canada Women's National Team
- National Teams 2019/09/21 U-16 Japan Women's National Team holds final training session ahead of third group stage match against Thailand at the AFC U-16 Women's Championship Thailand 2019