Nadeshiko Japan holds Official Training Session ahead of friendly match against Spain - FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
02 June 2019
On Saturday 1 June, one day before the international friendly match against the Spain Women's National Team, the Nadeshiko Japan (Japan Women's National Team) held an official training session at Le Touquet, a northern town in France.
With their final training match ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019 approaching on the following day, the Nadeshiko Japan conducted their training session at the match venue, Stade Gerard Houllier. The one-hour session was open to the media for the first 15 minutes before it went behind closed doors for the remaining 45 minutes.
Coach Jorge VILDA of the Spain Women's National Team mentioned Coach TAKAKURA Asako’s name when asked about Japan, “I know her since Costa Rica,” referring to the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup held in 2014. In that tournament, Coach Vilda led the U-17 Spain Women's National Team to the tournament final and lost to the U-17 Japan Women's National Team led by Coach Takakura. Players who featured that final are now with the senior squad for both sides, starting from the tournament MVP SUGITA Hina, ICHISE Nana, MIYAGAWA Asato, KOBAYASHI Rikako, HASEGAWA Yui, and MINAMI Moeka for the Japanese side, while Spain has four players from that tournament, including their number 10, Andrea FALCON. The two sides have also clashed in last year’s U-20 Women's World Cup final, where Japan won the match 3-1, making this match a fateful confrontation.
During the meeting held in the evening, the team saw a film regarding concussions, as the players were reminded to conduct the three R’s: Recognize, Report, and Remove, when their teammate is concussed.
FIFPro concussion awareness campaign video
The Nadeshiko Japan will face the Spain Women’s National Team on Sunday 2 June, followed by their first group stage match of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019 against the Argentina Women’s National Team on Monday 10.
MF #14 HASEGAWA Yui (Nippon TV Beleza)
We had the opportunity to face England prior to this World Cup, so we were able to make adjustments following that match, however, in regard to Argentina and Scotland, there are so many unknown variables, so our ability to make adjustments on the pitch will be tested. This is my first World Cup, but I have gained great learning experience from the past tournaments to grow as a player, so I hope to do the same during this tournament and strive to leave positive results with my teammates.
DF #12 YOKOYAMA Kumi (AC Nagano Parceiro Ladies)
Every team participating in this World Cup are strong teams and the first match of the tournament is going to be an important match for everyone. Regardless of who we face, a win in the first match can create a positive vibe for the team. The success of the national team can help enhance the environment and attendance for the Nadeshiko League, so we will fight with the responsibility to carry the domestic league of our country as well.
FW #13 TAKARADA Saori (Cerezo Osaka Sakai Ladies)
Coach Takakura has told me that I am a member of the World Cup squad and expects me to give my very best efforts to showcase my strengths. The underage category and the senior team can be very different, but I am entering the tournament with the intention to fight for my country. I am now given the opportunity to play at the highest stage, so I hope to showcase my character and contribute for the team.
FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
Tournament Dates: Fri. 7 June - Sun. 7 July 2019
Tue. 11 June 2019 01:00 (Japan time)
vs Argentina Women's National Team
Fri. 14 June 2019 22:00 (Japan time)
vs Scotland Women's National Team
Thu. 20 June 2019 04:00 (Japan time)
vs England Women's National Team
- National Teams 2019/06/01 Nadeshiko Japan welcomes TAKARADA Saori after UEKI Riko leaves France due to injury ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/31 Nadeshiko Japan emphasise on shooting drills to heighten their intention to capitalise on opportunities ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/30 Players of Nadeshiko Japan challenges themselves to heighten team quality ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/29 Nadeshiko Japan off to a new start with all 23 players - FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/28 World Cup history and the footsteps of Nadeshiko Japan, looking back on all 7 tournaments - FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/05/28 Nadeshiko Japan departs Japan, heads to Le Touquet for their match against Spain ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/10/15 SAMURAI BLUE holds final preparation session ahead of match against Tajikistan - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualification Round 2
- National Teams 2019/10/14 Promotional event held at Saitama Stadium 2002 to support the Japanese Bid to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023
- National Teams 2019/10/14 SAMURAI BLUE conducts training session behind closed doors at Tajikistan - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualification Round 2
- National Teams 2019/10/13 SAMURAI BLUE holds first training session at Tajikistan - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualification Round 2
- National Teams 2019/10/12 SAMURAI BLUE travels to Tajikistan ahead of 3rd match at the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualification Round 2