Nadeshiko Japan arrives in Nice ahead of their third group stage match against England at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
16 June 2019
Ahead of their third group stage match of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019 against the England Women’s National Team, the Nadeshiko Japan (Japan Women's National Team) made their ways to Nice on Saturday 15 June.
Upon their departure, the team was warmly sent off by the hotel staffs in Rennes, as they took a group photo before heading to the airport. After a 90-minute flight, the team arrived in Nice, a city located in the south east coast of France facing the Mediterranean Sea, where they will face England in their third and final group stage match.
After arriving to Nice, the players who did not play in the match against Scotland held a training session. Coach TAKAKURA Asako spoke to the players who had been limited with their playing time, “There will always be players who starts the match, comes off the bench, and goes unused. I know it’s frustrating at times, but I want you to utilise that frustration and convert that emotion to energy in the training session.”
On this day, the team celebrated the birthdays of SHIMIZU Risa and SAMESHIMA Aya after dinner. The players had secretly planned for this night and spent a joyful time as a team to strengthen the team bond ahead of their big match against England.
The Nadeshiko Japan will face the England Women’s National Team on Friday 19 June at 21:00 local time (Saturday 20 June at 4:00 Japan time).
GK #1 IKEDA Sakiko (Urawa Red Diamonds Ladies)
Nice is a city surrounded by nature and it is a wonderful environment to focus on playing football. Although we entered our first match with a strong intention to win the match, it was disappointing to see us draw that match. But because of that first match, we managed to bounce back in the second match to earn a victory. However, we have not achieved anything yet, so it is important that we continue to work hard as a team and prepare ourselves ahead of the next match. Including the reserve members, the entire team is committed to win the match. Without getting minutes on the pitch, there is a sense of disappointment, but as the coach mentioned, we must all prepare ourselves in the best way possible, so that we can showcase our best performance when the opportunity comes our way.
DF #16 MIYAGAWA Asato (Nippon TV Beleza)
We were given the opportunity to hold a players’ meeting ahead of our match against Scotland and I think it helped us strengthen our bond as a team. It really felt like the team was working together to achieve the common goal. Every player was committed to the match and the team was surrounded by a positive vibe from the beginning of the match. My strengths as a player lies on my ability to play multiple positions, so I hope to showcase an aggressive performance wherever I am given the opportunity.
DF #12 MINAMI Moeka (Urawa Red Diamonds Ladies)
We got ourselves in a tough spot after drawing the first match, but it also helped us strengthen our team bond ahead of the Scotland match. I was given the start in the first match, while Ichise got the start in the second match. We are a different type of player and she is capable of playing in the defensive midfield position. I felt like I need to learn from her in many aspects including her ability to deliver sharp passes upfront and her role in the build-up plays. England is a team with great speed and power. They are also capable of showcasing a passing style, which is similar to our style. If we can keep up the pace of our passes and win our matches in the one-on-one situations, there should be plenty of chances to win the match. If I am given the opportunity to play, I will utilise my height advantage and block off the crosses to help out the team.
FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
Tournament Dates: Fri. 7 June - Sun. 7 July 2019
Tue. 11 June 2019 01:00 (Japan time)
vs Argentina Women's National Team
Fri. 14 June 2019 22:00 (Japan time)
vs Scotland Women's National Team
Thu. 20 June 2019 04:00 (Japan time)
vs England Women's National Team
- National Teams 2019/06/15 Nadeshiko Japan gets a step closer to the knockout stage with a 2-1 victory over Scotland at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/13 Nadeshiko Japan prepares ahead of Scotland match, “a must win situation” - FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/12 Nadeshiko Japan travels to Rennes ahead of 2nd group stage match against Scotland at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/11 Nadeshiko Japan draws against Argentina in first match of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/10 Nadeshiko Japan ready to face first match and rewrite history at the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/09 Nadeshiko Japan shuts out media to prepare ahead of first match of the FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/06/08 Nadeshiko Japan continues to train while the World Cup gets under way - FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019
- National Teams 2019/08/20 Japan Futsal National Team Short-listed Squad, Schedule - Training camp (8/26-28＠Kariya)
- Competitions 2019/08/18 Nagoya Oceans claims record breaking 4th AFC title with 6 consecutive wins at the AFC Futsal Club Championship Thailand 2019
- Competitions 2019/08/17 Fixtures set for the Round of 16 at the 99th Emperor's Cup
- National Teams 2019/08/16 Japan Beach Soccer National Team finishes in 4th place after loss to Senegal at the BSWW Mundialito Nazare 2019
- Competitions 2019/08/16 Nagoya Oceans advances to Final with win over Thai Son Nam at the AFC Futsal Club Championship Thailand 2019