Japan set to face Palestine at 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014 – Report (24 Sep)
25 September 2014
On 24th prior to the match against Palestine at Round 16, Japan National U-21 Team worked on the final tune-up at the official practice site in Ansan.
With a typhoon approaching, it rained for the first time since the team landed in Korea Republic. But the rain stopped by the afternoon and some patches of blue sky appeared around 3 pm just when the practice was about to begin.
As it was just the day before the match, their practice started with a 9v9 scrimmage with goalkeepers on a half-sized pitch after warm-up. Then, the squad reviewed set-piece tactics and finalised the day with a penalty shootout practice to get ready for the upcoming knockout stage.
With regard to the opponents Palestine, while their football association was established in 1928, they became a member of the FIFA 70 years later in 1998 due to the political instability. Japan (senior national team) have never face them before and will meet for the first time next January.
The Palestine U-23 at the Asian Games brought in three overaged players who experienced the senior national team including Khaled Mahdi, and advanced to the Round 16 after beating Oman and Tajikistan to finish the Group Stage on top.
The Kick-off for the contest between Japan U-21 and Palestine U-23 is set at 7 pm on Thursday 25 at Hwaseong Sports Complex Main Stadium. The match will be broadcasted live on NHK BS1 from 4:50 pm through 6:55 pm.
TEGURAMORI Makoto, Head Coach
(Taking about Palestine)
They are organised and play European-like and use short corner kicks on set plays. They are confident in keeping the ball, trying to get past the opponents closing in and protect the ball using their whole body. Giving up our pace may lead to a tough game, so we need to keep moving around at a fast pace.
(Asked about the different systems used in the three Group Stage matches)
I selected the systems, three backs at the first, 4-3-3 at the second and 4-2-3-1 at the third match because I wanted to decide how we play while looking at opponents’ characteristics and dismissing opponents’ strength. We will use s system that fits to the next match against Palestine.
ENDO Wataru (Shonan Bellmare)
(About the match against Palestine)
I found that as they build up the game exchanging passes from backs, they are a bit different from the Middle Eastern teams we played against before.
We are going to play as usual, moving the ball quickly to keep outnumbering the opponents. In the defensive situation, we will try to make right decisions whether we put pressure up front or create a block to sit back.
AKINO Hiroki (Kashiwa Reysol)
I want to play as many games as possible on this team, so I will get well-prepared for the match.
(Palestine seems) Strong facing forward but weak defending behind the line. We have a lot of fast-footed forwards, so with my strength of precise passing, I hope I can send some good balls behind the opposing backline.
Men’s football TV schedule
Round of 16 vs. Palestine under-23, NHK BS1 (live), 4:50 p.m. to 6:55 p.m., 25th September (Thursday)
*Please understand that the program is subject to change depending on other events.
U-21 Japan National Team Match Schedule
|Sun. 9/14||vs Kuwait||4-1||Incheon Football Stadium|
|Wed. 9/17||vs Iraq||1-3||Goyang Stadium|
|Sun. 9/21||vs Nepal||4-0||Goyang Stadium|
|Thu. 9/25||the Round of 16||17:00||Hwaseong Sports Complex Main Stadium/|
|Sun. 9/28||Quarterfinal||17:00||Munhak Stadium/Goyang Stadium|
|Thu. 9/30||Semifinal||17:00/20:00||Incheon Football Stadium/Munhak Stadium|
|Thu. 10/2||Final||20:00||Munhak Stadium|
17th Asian Games （2014/Incheon）Groups
|A Group||Korea Republic、Malaysia、Soudi Arabia、Laos|
|C Group||Oman、Palestine、 Singapore、Tajikistan|
|E Group||Thailand、Maldives、Timor-Leste 、Indonesia|
|F Group||Korea DPR、China PR、Pakistan|
- National Teams Japan U-21 gear up for Round of 16 at 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014 - report (9/23)
- National Teams Japan U-21 cruise past Nepal, clinch knockout stage at 17th Asian Games Incheon 2014
- National Teams U-21 Japan National Team lose to Iraq in the 17th Asian Games
- National Teams Japan Under-21 squad begin quest for consecutive championships with cruising win
- National Teams 2019/10/18 U-17 Japan National Team arrives to their campsite in Sao Paulo - FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019
- National Teams 2019/10/16 U-17 Japan National Team starts training camp ahead of the FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019
- National Teams 2019/10/16 SAMURAI BLUE defeats Tajikistan to mark 3 consecutive victories - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Asian Qualification Round 2
- 2019/10/16 CSR Relay Column Vol.4 "Conveying the message of social responsibility" - Committee for Social Responsibility Member AKABANE Makiko
- National Teams 2019/10/15 SAMURAI BLUE (Japan National Team) beats Tajikistan 3-0 ～FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ / AFC Asian Cup 2023™ Preliminary Joint Qualification - Round 2～