SAMURAI BLUE gearing up for Singapore match in tactical training at match venue - World Cup Asian Qualifiers R2 starting on 16 June
15 June 2015
SAMURAI BLUE (Japan National Team) had two-hour training on 14 June at Saitama Stadium 2002 two days ahead of the first match of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Asian Qualifiers Second Round against Singapore.
In the closed-door training except for the first 15 minutes, the Japan squad worked on reviewing team tactics by focusing on details such as the number of cross balls and their accuracy, and who and when to rush to goal to meet cross balls.
On 11 June Singapore already had their opening match of Asia's second qualifying round, where five teams are competing in a group, as they beat Cambodia 4-0 on the road.
Defender MAKINO Tomoaki (Urawa Reds) is trying to get on the ball, saying "Because goal difference matters in the group placement, we need to score goals when we should and, on the defensive side, keep them scoreless."
Midfielder HASEBE Makoto (Eintracht Frankfurt), who goes for his third World Cup qualifiers, said, "I individually understand how tough the World Cup qualifiers are after my experience in the past two qualifying rounds. There are a lot of young players who play the qualifiers for the first time, so experienced players need to calm the team down for such players to play freely."
Asked about the match venue Saitama Stadium, Hasebe said "I have a good image to put up quite a good result. We'll get great support. So we'll try to please the fans attending the match before they go home."
The contest is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. on 16 June at Saitama Stadium 2002.
OKAZAKI Shinji (1.FSV Mintz 05)
We got disappointed in the Asian Cup and had some friendlies afterwards, but still the World Cup Qualifiers are special. It's important to play always with aspirations not to waste the 90 minutes in such a tense mood. We are expected to win, so how much players can have a sense of tension could be a key.
Forwards are expected to get our job done in the box if it is one-top formation, and you are not supposed to run through to space behind defenders in a way you help the team score but run through in a way you score. By leading the team that way, my teammates can play more comfortably. I'll try to show another trait of mine to win battles in the box.
HASEBE Makoto (Eintracht Frankfurt)
The long qualifying round is about to begin again. We hope to win through while growing. Winning a match is the minimum. If you want to go farther, you need to not only win but also play your game. Now we are fairly competitive within the team. We will also battle out the matches with carrying that competitiveness.
Singapore won their last match on the road, so I think they are going to come out in a good mood. Taking care of their counterattacks and respecting them, we will concentrate on thinking about what kind of play we can show.
MORISHIGE Masato (F.C.Tokyo)
By experiencing how we can win through in Asia at the World Cup qualifiers from the beginning, I can see it difficult. By winning the contests there, we can go for the World Cup with a different mindset. After playing at the AFC Asian Cup, I realised Asia is not easy and is not a region where anyone can get through easily. We need ability to win through, and I'm looking forward to getting a good experience as overcoming adversity and winning matches.
I was watching the Iraq match (a few days ago) from the bench with a feeling of disappointment. But I'm keeping up my work with a strong mindset that I can make it. Now that my goal is to get a regular position, I'll take it positively.
MAKINO Tomoaki (Urawa Reds)
I've got a chance to play now, so I need to take on challenges. And the fact there are players to compete against at the same position brings my level up. In the Singapore match, thinking about their quality and that we are playing at home, it's important to put pressure on them right at the kick-off whistle. It's necessary to add up second and third goals right after getting the first goal. Because goal difference matters in the group placement, we need to score goals when we should and, on the defensive side, keep them scoreless.
JFA-TV (Japanese version only)
Interview - OKAZAKI Shinji (1.FSV Mainz 05/Germany)
Interview - HASEBE Makoto (Eintracht Frankfurt/Germany)
Interview - MAKINO Tomoaki (Urawa Reds)
|Mon. 1 June
|Tue. 2 June
|Wed. 3 June
|Thu. 4 June
|Fri. 5 June
|Sat. 6 June
|Sun. 7 June
|Mon. 8 June
|Tue. 9 June
|Wed. 10 June
|Thu. 11 June
|KIRIN CHALLENGE CUP 2015
vs. Iraq National Team (Nissan Stadium)
|Fri. 12 June
|Sat. 13 June
|Sun. 14 June
|Mon. 15 June
|Tue. 16 June
(subject to change))
|2018 FIFA World Cup and 2019 AFC Asian Cup Joint Qualifiers Round 2
vs. Singapore National Team (Saitama Stadium 2002)
Note: The schedule is subject to change.
2018 FIFA World Cup and 2019 AFC Asian Cup Joint Qualifiers Round 2
SAMURAI BLUE (Japan National Team) vs Singapore National Team
Tue. 16 June Kickoff 19:30 (subject to change)
Saitama / Saitama Stadium 2002
- National Teams 2015/06/13 SAMURAI BLUE resume training in Saitama ahead of World Cup qualifiers
- National Teams 2015/06/12 Japan thrash Iraq 4-0, boost for World Cup qualifiers - KIRIN CHALLENGE CUP 2015
- National Teams 2015/06/11 Halilhodzic: Iraq match is the start for World Cup – KIRIN CHALLENGE CUP 2015 against Iraq
- National Teams 2015/06/10 SAMURAI BLUE had a closed-door training session for the match against Iraq
- National Teams 2015/06/09 SAMURAI BLUE, J.League members join for matches against Iraq and Singapore
- National Teams 2015/06/08 SAMURAI BLUE conclude Chiba training camp
- National Teams 2024/02/22 【Scouting report】One of Asia's strongest teams aiming for a third Olympic appearance (Women's Olympic Football Tournament Paris 2024: Asian Qualifiers Final Round) - DPR Korea Women's National Team
- National Teams 2024/02/16 U-16 Japan National Team squad & schedule - Turkiye tour (2/24-3/5)
- National Teams 2024/02/16 U-15 Japan National Team short-listed squad & schedule - Training Camp (2/19-2/23＠Chiba)
- National Teams 2024/02/13 U-20 Japan Women's National Team squad & schedule - AFC U20 Women's Asian Cup Uzbekistan 2024 (2/19-3/18＠Uzbekistan)
- National Teams 2024/02/08 Nadeshiko Japan (Japan Women's National Team) squad & schedule - Women's Olympic Football Tournament Paris 2024 Asian Qualifiers Final Round vs DPR Korea (1st leg 2/24＠Prince Abdullah AlFaisal Stadium, 2nd leg 2/28＠Tokyo)