U-16 Japan National Team throw away two-goal lead just before final whistle for painful draw
02 June 2014
Caspian Cup 2014
Sunday 1 June 2014 Kick Off at 18:00 Local Time 80minutes(40minutes)
Dalga Arena（Baku / Azerbaijan）
U-16 Japan National Team 2-2 (1st 2-0、2nd 0-2) U-16 Georgia National Team
30min HANYA Yosuke（U-16 Japan National Team）
33min YASUI Takuya（U-16 Japan National Team）
45min Goal Against（U-16 Georgia National Team）
80+3min Goal Against（U-16 Georgia National Team）
DF：ONOZAWA Toshiki、DOAN Ritsu、MORIOKA Riku、IKEDA Taisei
MF：TANAKA Kosuke、SATO Sota、YAMAHARA Reon
FW：SUGITA Masahiro、WATANABE Yo、HANYA Yosuke
MF：KAJIYAMA Kanta、FUJIMOTO Kanya、YASUI Takuya
FW：SUGA Daiki、SUGIURA Fumiya
31分 HANYA Yosuke → YASUI Takuya
HT SUGITA Masahiro → KAJIYAMA Kanta
46分 YAMAHARA Reon → SUGA Daiki
50分 WATANABE Yo → ABE Masashi
61分 ONOZAWA Toshiki → SUGIURA Fumiya
The second match in the group stage, Japan needed to win by more than three goals, to top Group C and advance to the semifinals.
Japan retained possession of the ball from the start, passing at a good pace and moving fluidly around the pitch. Consequently, Georgia literally had to throw everything into preventing Japanese goal-scoring opportunities.
In the 30th minute Hanya Yosuke opened the scoring with a pass from Tanaka Kosuke. And in the 33rd minute, just after the first goal, Yasui Takuya, who was fresh off the bench, swept in a loose ball from a free kick, building a two-goal lead.
In the second half the game continued in a similar vein, but Japan couldn’t find the back of the net despite many scoring opportunities. Less movement and less smooth passing from the Japanese players and then some careless play gifted Georgia a penalty kick and they scored their first goal.
Although Japan went back on the attack, the Georgian players’ power and possession prevented them from scoring again. In additional time, Georgia scored through yet another penalty kick, levelling the game. The U-16 Japan National Team will play in the fifth to eighth-place playoff round.
KIMURA Yasuhiko (JFA National Coaching Staff)
We tied with Tajikistan in the first match. So we needed to win by more than tree goals to make the semifinal. We’ve been focusing on making as many goal-scoring opportunities as possible and scoring. In the first half, we had a good amount of nice plays towards the goal and some shoots, which got us a two-goal lead. However, in the second half, our players’ stamina ran out a bit and we couldn’t retain the possession well. And again we conceded a penalty just before the whistle, ending up with the draw. Now we know our task: the accuracy of shooting and the amount of movement. We will play against one of the strongest Asian teams, Uzbekistan, in the consolation final tomorrow. We will get ourselves into good condition for the match.
HANYA Yosuke（FC Tokyo U-18）
I played a flexible role in the match today. I focused on making as many shots as possible by receiving many passes. However, it was difficult to make scoring opportunities due to the lack of movement from the kick-off. Learning from this, I will play actively with or without the ball in the next game.
HANYA Yosuke（FC Tokyo U-18）
We played the game today, thinking, as a team, how to make more shots on goal than the previous match. We were checking the opponent’s defensive line to tell whether they would attack down the wings or through the centre. Although there were some improvements in the number of shots and our approach in attack, we need to be more accurate. Personally, I need to play more actively, as I couldn’t impact the match even though I came off the bench.
SAKURABA Riki（Consadole Sapporo U-15）
I’ve been practicing throughout this competition. I’ve found and learned many special things, which I want to use in practice sessions and games from now on.
TANAKA Kosuke（Kyoto Sanga F.C. U-18）
My challenge was ‘how well can I prepare’ for the match, and I am fairly satisfied with the result. In the first half I received the ball freely and contributed to the team, but in the second half it was difficult to play in the same way. There are still many things to be improved, such as taking on fluid regularly, so I will try harder to master those.
|Thu, 29 May||1-1||vs U-16 Tajikistan National Football Team（Sumgayit）|
|Sun, 1 June||2-2||vs U-16 Georgia National Football Team（Dalga）|
|Mon, 2 June||17：00||Place Decider vs u-16 Uzbekistan National Team|
|Tue, 3 June||Training|
|Wed, 4 June||17：00||Place Decider|
|Thu, 5 June||ITraining|
Caspian Cup 2014 Participating Countries
|8/4～7||Training Camp (Domestic/being adjusted)|
|8/26～9/3||Camp （being adjusted）|
|9/4～20||AFC U-16 Championship Thailand 2014|
- National Teams 2014/06/01 U-16 Japan National Team report: the Caspian Cup 2014 in Azerbaijan (31 May)
- National Teams 2014/05/31 U-16 Japan National Team Caspian Cup 2014 (Azerbaijian) Activity Report (30 May)
- National Teams 2014/05/30 U-16 Japan National Team – Caspian Cup 2014 (Azerbaijan) draw with Tajikistan in 1st match
- National Teams 2014/05/29 U-16 Japan National Team Report: the Caspian Cup 2014 in Azerbaijan
- National Teams 2014/05/28 U-16 Japan National Team – Caspian Cup 2014 (Azerbaijan) activity report (26 to 27 May)
- National Teams 2014/05/19 U-16 Japan National Team Azerbaijan Trip (26 May～ 7 June) Players / Schedule
- Competitions 2022/10/04 Kofu, Kashima, Hiroshima, and Kyoto to compete for their spot in the final - Emperor's Cup JFA 102nd Japan Football Championship
- National Teams 2022/10/03 【Match Report】Japan Futsal National Team finish group stage in first place and clinch knockout stage with a win over Vietnam - AFC Futsal Asian Cup™ Kuwait 2022
- National Teams 2022/10/01 【Match Report】Japan Futsal National Team score six goals to win over Korea Republic - AFC Futsal Asian Cup™ Kuwait 2022
- Referees 2022/10/01 Introduction of the referees in charge of the International Friendly Matches between Japan Beach Soccer National Team and Ukraine Beach Soccer National Team
- National Teams 2022/10/01 Japan Beach Soccer National Team hold official training session ahead of the International Friendly Match against the Ukraine Beach Soccer National Team