Nadeshiko Japan to face Great Britain in second match of the Games of the XXXII Olympiad (Tokyo 2020)
23 July 2021
On Saturday 24 July the Nadeshiko Japan (Japan Women’s National Team) will play their second group stage match of the Games of the XXXII Olympiad (Tokyo 2020) against the Great Britain Women’s National Team.
Great Britain showcased their dominance over Chile in their first match, where they recorded 20 shots in their 2-0 victory, thanks to the brace scored by their ace striker Ellen WHITE.
It will be the first time since the 2012 London Olympics, in which the four FAs within Great Britain have united to form the Great Britain Women’s National Team. The team is centred around the England Women’s National Team who is currently ranked sixth in the FIFA ranking, while adding players like Sophie INGLE (Wales), Kim LITTLE (Scotland), and Caroline WEIR (Scotland) to become one of the tournament favourites of this Olympics.
Following their third place finish at the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, the England Women’s National Team once again reached the semi-finals at the FIFA Women's World Cup 2019™, where they finished fourth. The team is also preparing for the UEFA Women's EURO England 2022, which was rescheduled to take place in 2022.
Japan has faced England eight times, holding a record of one win, two draws, and five losses (five goals for, 16 goals against). In the most recent international competitions, England has defeated Japan 0-2 at the FIFA Women's World Cup 2019™ group stage and 0-1 at the 2020 SheBelieves Cup.
In order for Japan to achieve their goal of winning the Olympic gold medal, Great Britain is an opponent they must overcome. They must find ways to break down the British defence line led by Lucy BRONZE, who became the first defender to be named Best FIFA Women's Player in 2020, and team captain Steph HOUGHTON.
The second group stage match between the Nadeshiko Japan and the Great Britain Women’s National Team in Group E will kick-off at 19:30 on Saturday 24 July at Sapporo Dome.
Games of the XXXII Olympiad (Tokyo 2020)
Football competition: Wed. 21 July - Sat. 7 August 2021
- National Teams 2021/07/22 Nadeshiko Japan draw against Canada in first match of the Tokyo Olympics
- National Teams 2021/07/21 Nadeshiko Japan hold final training session ahead of the Tokyo Olympics
- National Teams 2021/07/20 Nadeshiko Japan use limited time to improve teamwork
- National Teams 2021/07/20 Nadeshiko Japan to lead off Japan Olympic Team with match against Canada - Games of the XXXII Olympiad (Tokyo 2020)
- National Teams 2021/07/19 Nadeshiko Japan hold training session under the scorching heat of Sapporo
- National Teams 2021/09/24 U-15 Japan National Team short-listed squad - Training Camp (9/26-30＠J-Village)
- National Teams 2021/09/24 “Gave us confidence that we could win when it matters” Interview with Player-Coach MOREIRA Ozu of Japan Beach Soccer National Team
- National Teams 2021/09/23 Japan Futsal National Team to face Brazil at Round of 16 of the FIFA Futsal World Cup Lithuania 2021™
- National Teams 2021/09/22 Japan Futsal National Team hold official training in Kaunas ahead of match against Brazil
- National Teams 2021/09/22 “The team MVP is…” Interview with AKAGUMA Takuya, OKUYAMA Masanori, OBA Takaaki of Japan Beach Soccer National Team Vol.2