17 organisations apply to enter the WE League
01 August 2020
On Friday 31 July, Japan Women's Empowerment Professional Football League (WE League: Women Empowerment League) has closed the application period to submit the membership applications to enter the newly established WE League, which is scheduled to kick-off in autumn 2021. It was announced that applications from 17 organisations were submitted during this period.
In order to build the foundation of professional women’s sports in Japan and to realise a society where women can truly shine, the WE League has setup a unique guideline that embodies the league’s principle: “Each individual to live in a world full of dreams and diversity to enhance and brighten the society through women’s football and sports. ” Each applicant will now be screened based on the league’s guideline, which outlines the requirements for the clubs’ management and organisational structure, as the clubs (6-10 clubs) participating in the inaugural season will be announced in early October.
Details of the WE League, including league name, kick-off timing, and information on membership application, were announced on Wednesday 3 June. The league then announced their decision to appoint Ms. OKAJIMA Kikuko as Chair on Thursday 9 July.
Comment of WE League Chair OKAJIMA Kikuko
The WE League was founded in the midst of our battle against COVID-19. The decision to launch this league was made to provide a glimpse of hope for the Japanese society during this tough time, where people are forced to change their way of living, how they work, and how to interact with others. While we strive to create the world’s best women’s football league and to raise Japanese women’s football to the world’s pinnacle, we are ecstatic to receive applications from 17 organisations who are willing to make their step to the next stage with us.
The fact that we received 17 applications showcases the high potential of women’s football in Japan and it proves that the future is bright, which makes us extremely happy. We must now select 6-10 clubs out of these applicants. As the league’s Chair, I will give my sincere and utmost efforts to proceed with the screening process.
- Women's Football 2020/07/14 WE League introduces Chair OKAJIMA Kikuko in online press conference
- Women's Football 2020/07/09 Ms. OKAJIMA Kikuko named as first Chair of WE League
- Japan Football Association 2020/06/04 Japan's first ever Women's Professional Football League, [WE League] to kick off in autumn 2021
- Japan Football Association 2020/06/03 Japan’s first ever Women’s Professional Football League, [WE League] to kick off in autumn 2021
- Competitions 2020/09/17 Nara Club walks away with victory over Ococias Kyoto with last minute goal at the Emperor's Cup JFA 100th Japan Football Championship
- Competitions 2020/09/15 Online conference held ahead of the Emperor's Cup JFA 100th Japan Football Championship
- Coaches 2020/09/14 S-Licence Coaching Course 2020 Module 1/Intensive Course (1) Participant's Report Vol. 2
- National Teams 2020/09/14 U-16 Japan National Team Squad, Schedule - 2020 SBS Cup Dream Youth Soccer (9/21-22＠Shizuoka)
- Competitions 2020/09/14 Team captain propels Yokohama FM to their first victory! - Prince Takamado Trophy JFA U-18 Football Premier League 2020 Kanto